Triton College logo
Home | MyTriton Portal | Apply Now

Our Best Answer - How do I become an independent student?

Independent Status

The federal government considers a student to be independent if they meet one or more of these criteria:

Are 24 years of age or older.

Have already received their first bachelor’s degree and will be working towards their master’s or doctorate degree during the FAFSA-related academic year.

Are married (including those who are separated but not divorced).

Have children for whom they provide more than half of the economic support.

Have dependents other than a child or spouse, for whom they provide more than half of the economic support.

Are an orphan (both parents are deceased) or ward of the court, or were a ward of the court until the age of 18.

Are considered Unaccompanied Homeless Youth who lack safe, stable housing and who are not in the care of a parent or guardian.

Are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.

Are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.

All other students are considered to be dependent, and the parents’ information and signature will be required on the FAFSA. Students will be required to provide information supporting claims of independence where applicable. If a student believes they have a situation that should be considered individually, ask to speak with a Financial Aid advisor.

Top 10 Questions

  1. How do I get a course catalog?
  2. How do I get a copy of my transcript?
  3. What majors or academic programs do you offer?
  4. Will I get a refund if I drop or withdraw from a class?
  5. How can I get a copy of my timetable?
  6. Can I get a campus map?
  7. What language programs do you offer?
  8. How do I declare or change my major or minor?
  9. How do I withdraw from the school?
  10. How will financial aid be affected if I withdraw?

Are you satisfied with your answer?

Pretty bad

You May Be Interested In:

I would like more information about the situation at hand.

Click here to send us a detailed question.